Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Quest to eradicate global poverty

from Merimbula News Weekly

Michelle Kearney

We are the first generation that could eradicate poverty.

This is a reality that Pambula Beach resident and artist, Lou Oakes, believes many people are simply unaware of.

In September 2000, all 189-member states of the United Nations signed on to the Millennium Development Goals, a set of eight targets, which aim to halve world poverty by 2015. Each target has clear indicators to measure progress and success.

Lou was made aware of the Millennium Development Goals through and e-bulletin she received and said otherwise she would not have known about it.

"I don't think that many people are aware of them, I know I wasn't and they have been going for over seven years now."

"It is 2007 and some of the goals are doing really well but others still need a little more work," she said.

After visiting the website and reading up about the goals and what they involved Lou decided she wanted to do something to help.

The statistics facing many of the world's people startled her.

"The fact that over 30,000 babies die each day just gob-smacked me, of diseases which are curable," she said.

"The fact that 98 million people live on less than $2 a day really hit me hard when I thought about how much I spend just on groceries every week. Why should our worlds be so different?"

However the reality that we are the first generation who could eradicate poverty is something that brings Lou hope.

She believes we need to encourage our political leaders to keep their promise and ensure these goals are met.

"I decided I needed to bring the goals to the attention of my entire electorate and encourage my MPs to find out what government is doing about it.

Lou decided that she could use her voice and her artistic talent to encourage other people and other artists to become aware of the goals.

"I am not a political person; it is not in my nature to stand up and make a fuss, but something needs to be done and I have decided to use my creative gift to make a difference."

Lou has decided to hold Create to Advocate 07, along with the help of the Merimbula/Pambula Anglican Parish.

Create to Advocate invites Australian artists to express their vision for a world where poverty is history and to depict the themes of the Millennium Development Goals.

On January 23 to 25, 2008 the Create to Advocate exhibition will be held at Twyford Hall, in Merimbula and Lou is encouraging local artists to get involved and start creating.Entries close December 14, with delivery of artworks to the exhibition on January 22.

Lou held a workshop on October 20 with members from the Merimbula/Pambula Anglican Parish to start creating their artworks for the exhibition.

No comments: